Drum & Pail Inside Sales
508.591.6700 • 888.593.2211

Smart Pail Inside Sales

Intermediate Bulk Container
Inside Sales
508.591.6800 • 888.593.2212

Bag-in-Box & Hydration Systems
Inside Sales     

Cheer Pack North America

contact cdf or request samples or information
drum and pail catalogue distributors
drum and pail catalogue distributors

drum and pail distributors


1. What’s the difference between a liner and an insert?
Liners are made from heat sealing a tube of plastic film to a plastic disk, creating a cylindrical-shaped, removable lining. A liner comes in three wall thicknesses: 4 mil, 8 mil and 10 mil. The diameter is chosen to match the diameter of a specific container and the length is chosen to provide the customer with enough drape to tie off as needed.

Inserts are much heavier than liners with wall thicknesses ranging from 10 to 30 mil depending on whether they are manufactured in a vacuum-form or blow-mold process. Inserts have no seams or seals.

2. What’s the difference between accordion and straight-sided inserts?
Both types of inserts are made from LDPE, offering seamless protection. Accordion inserts have pleats down the side walls of the insert that can adjust to different height steel drums. They are most often used with reconditioned drums that have varying heights. Straight-sided inserts have smooth side walls that are sized to fit a specific drum height. Straight-sided inserts are popular with new steel drums and in applications calling for a follower-plate, which needs to slide down the interior of the drum to dispense product.

3. What’s the difference between LDPE and HDPE?
Low-density polyethylene is more flexible and more resilient than high-density polyethylene and will remain pliable longer in cold environments. HDPE, however, is more rigid and more durable than LDPE and will better resist long-term exposure to a wide range of chemicals.

4. What does G4 mean is some of your part numbers?
G4, like G5 and G6, is a trim designator. To ensure each customer receives the ideal fit, CDF offers a number of different trim lengths for straight-sided inserts used with new drums. G4 fits the needs of most customers.

5. Do you sell drums, pails and intermediate bulk containers?
No. CDF is an IBC, pail and drum liner manufacturer. CDF works in partnership with all of the leading US drum and pail manufacturers and IBC bulk container manufacturers. For more information visit the following websites:

6. What does “IBC” mean?
IBC stands for Intermediate Bulk Container. Intermediate Bulk Containers can be used for shipping or storage of dry or liquid materials. Sometimes people refer to IBC’s as “totes”.

IBC containers typically hold more than a 55-gallon drum but less then bulk (500-gallon). The most popular sizes are 275 gallon (equal to five 55-gallon drums) and 330 gallon (equal to six 55-gallon drums). There are returnable Intermediate Bulk Containers and one-way or disposable IBC containers. Most returnable Intermediate Bulk Containers are plastic, blow-molded or a composite of metal and plastic. Most disposable or one-way are corrugated. Most knock-down or “folding” IBC containers are used with a bag and may be referred to as “bag-in-box”.

7. What's the difference between “Form-Fit” bag and “Pillow” shaped bags?
Typically Form-Fit bags are cube shaped and form-fit to the inside dimensions of the container. Pillow shaped bags look like a pillow case when blown up with air.

8. Why would I use a Form-Fit bag rather than the traditional Pillow shape?
Form-Fit bags are typically easier to fill, have less folds and retain less residual product after dispensing then pillow shaped bags. Pillow bags have traditionally been used with automated fill machines, but Form-Fits can also be used with auto-fill systems. Most operators find Form-Fit designs easier to fill and dispense.

9. What is a “bottom fill” ? What is difference between bottom and top fill?
Bottom fill does NOT mean filling through the bottom dispense fitting, but to fill the bag laying flat in the container with a hose extended into the bottom of the container and the bag. As the material is pumped into the bag, the bag fills out and rises with the fill. In a “Top fill,” the bag is hung on a bridge or pulled up to the top of the container where the fill connection is made. Most Form-Fits are filled from the top and most pillows are filled from bottom.

10. Does Aseptic mean the bags are made in a “Clean Room”?
No. Aseptic refers to irradiating the bag to remove/kill bacteria. The bags are put through a gamma ray process at an off-site facility.

11. What is an “integrated valve” or “valve-in-place”?
Most bag-in-box applications require a dispense gland or fitting to evacuate the product out of the bottom side of the bag. The end-user or dispenser typically will have a valve assembly provided by the container company that allows them to cut the membrane on the dispense fitting. The valve is a separate assembly and is usually re-used.

There are “one-time” valves that can be heat-sealed onto the bag. These are referred to as integrated valves or valve-in-place. Integrated valves are intended to be used one time and are discarded with the bag the after product is evacuated.

12. What is the difference between BSP thread and NPT threaded parts?
BSP stands for British Standard Pipe Thread.
NPT stands for National Pipe Thread.

These two threads are very close in threads per inch and pitch, but there are slight differences. Typically in a 2" application the threads are interchangeable and most users will not notice a difference. As you move into 3" applications, the thread difference becomes more pronounced and adapters may need to be modified.
Most fittings (fitments) on IBC Bag-in-Box applications are closer to BSP. Most of the plastic injection molded parts put on bags today are neither BSP or NPT as defined strictly by the Machinist Handbook. They are actually a hybrid that may accommodate a variety of adapters.

13. When should I use a 2-ply bag or a 3-ply bag?
This decision really needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis between the bag supplier and shipper. Factors such as mode of transportation, viscosity of product, shipping distance, container integrity, compatibility of laden product with liner materials and temperatures all play in a part in the final determination. As a rule of thumb, most products that are at least the viscosity of water can be safely shipped in a 2-ply bag within a 750-mile radius via typical trucking conditions, if the film is a high-quality linear low density (LLDPE) and there are no extenuating circumstances. For help in choosing the ply that best suits your needs, please contact CDF.

14. What is a “Snouted” or “Spouted” or “Chimney Top” bag mean?
The terms are generally synonymous. A bag’s “snout” refers to a long and wide neck at the top or bottom of the bag. The opening is approximately 15" and is tied off after the bag is full. Many dry applications in the FIBC industry utilize snouted, chimney top bags, but the liquid industry uses them as well. Many applications such as those in the adhesive industry use a filter sock at the end of the fill line and there is no connection to the bag. The product comes through the line and the sock and needs a wider opening to enter the bag. A snouted bag with a fill bridge or jig allows for a wide opening. The operator pulls the snout up, through and down over the jig forming about a 15" diameter opening. When the operator is finished filling, he twists the snout and ties off with an industrial twist tie.

15. Can bags be re-used?
No. Bag-in-Box was intended for one time shipments. Bags should not be re-used as the structural integrity can not be determined. Leakers are taken very seriously by the Highway Patrol and Hazmat teams may be called upon a site if the contents can not be determined. The party that specified the re-use of the bag may be responsible for all clean up costs and other related costs.

16. How hot can a bag be filled?
A standard bag from CDF is rated to 165°F (Flexus™). We can supply a high-temperature bag that is rated to 200°F (Flexus HF). Please review your application with a CDF representative if you think you may have temperature-related issues.